Distance from Peaks & Pods: 14 miles
Clitheroe is a wonderful market town in the heart of the Ribble Valley and is a superb place to visit, with an excellent variety of shops, cafes, restaurants and visitor attractions. Go to – www.visitlancashire.com for more information.
- Clitheroe Market – Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays – www.ribblevalley.gov.uk
- Clitheroe Castle – www.visitlancashire.com/things-to-do/clitheroe-castle-and-museum-p7129
- Ribblesdale Swimming Pool – www.ribblevalley.gov.uk/info/200369/ribblesdale_swimming_pool/1475/pool_opening_times
- Holmes Mill (home to Bowland Beer Hall) – a former textiles mill that boasts the UK’s longest bar. The surroundings are unique and the food is delicious. There’s also a cafe, gelateria, gourmet food shop and Bowland Brewery. www.holmesmill.co.uk
- The Emporium – Half coffee shop, wine bar and brasserie, half interior design store, it’s housed in an old Methodist Chapel and is arranged over three floors. www.theemporiumclitheroe.co.uk
- Afternoon picnics are legendary at The Garden Kitchen at Holden Clough Nursery in Bolton-by-Bowland. As well as a superb tearoom in a beautiful rural location, it’s an award-winning garden nursery and well worth a trip. Visit – www.holdencloughnursery.com
- For art lovers, there’s the Platform Gallery next to Clitheroe Station.
- Follow in the footsteps of J.R.R. Tolkien and follow the Tolkien Trail in Hurst Green. Tolkien regularly stayed at Stonyhurst College in the Ribble Valley – www.visitlancashire.com/things-to-do/the-tolkien-trail-in-the-footsteps-of-j-r-r-tolkien-p583810
- Take a spooky ‘Top Hat Tour’ in Clitheroe or nearby Ribble Valley – www.tophattours.co.uk
Shopping in Clitheroe
There are very many lovely, independent shops in Clitheroe, with a handful of high street shops such as Fat Face, Boots and M&Co.
- D Byrne & Co Wine Shop – This multi-award winning independent fine wine and spirit merchants is legendary. It’s like stepping into another world; this Victorian shop, with its towering shelves groaning with bottles and warren of underground cellars, is a magnet for wine lovers from all over the country. My brother rushes here every time he visits!
- Cowmans Famous Sausage Shop – the shop on Castle Street has been a butcher’s for over 120 years and their vast selection of sausages contain top quality local ingredients. Buy some for the barbie!
- Ken Vary Town and Country Wear – the perfect place to complete your wardrobe for country and outdoor pursuits.
- Gazegill Organics – Organic butcher’s and dairy at Rimmington (near Gisburn)
- Melt – The candle company’s flagship store is at Backridge Barn near Waddington, Clitheroe, and is a lovely destination. Browse and shop at leisure and then eat at the fantastic Bashall Barn nearby. A perfect trip out!